When you close goods returns, no adjustment posting is carried out in inventory management. This means that the available inventory, which has been decreased by the goods returns, is not increased again.
Therefore, if you need to close goods returns and update the inventory values and quantities as well, create a goods receipt PO based on the goods returns to be closed.
Note: You cannot create an A/P credit memo or any other purchasing document based on closed goods returns.
The goods return has not yet been copied to an A/P credit memo or a goods receipt PO.
1) To close goods returns, from the SAP Business One Main Menu, choose: Purchasing – A/P > Goods Return, and open the relevant document.
2) In the menu bar, choose: Data > Close.
You receive the following message: Closing a document is irreversible. Document status will be changed to “Closed” and a clearing transaction will be created. Do you want to continue?
3) Do one of the following:
- To proceed and close the goods receipt PO, choose the Yes button.
Note: If you are running a non-perpetual inventory company, the goods receipt return will be closed and the document status will be changed to Closed.
- If you are running a perpetual inventory company, proceed to step 4 to specify the posting date for the clearing journal entry.
- To cancel the operation, choose the No button.
4) If you confirm that you want to close the goods receipt PO, a dialogue box appears asking you to specify a posting date to be used in the clearing journal entry. Do one of the following:
- To use the current system date, select the Current System Date radio button.
- To use the original posting date in the document, select the Original Document Date radio button.
- To specify a date other than the above two dates, select the Specified Date radio button and then enter a date or choose a date from the calendar.
If you specify a date which is earlier than or the same as the original posting date of this document, you receive the following message: Enter a specified date that is later than original document posting date.
If you specify a date which is in a locked period, you receive the following message: Period is locked for new data. For more information, see How To Lock Posting Periods.
5) To save your data, choose the OK button.
Note: When a goods return is closed (either fully opened or partially drawn), the amount of the freight charges posted to the expense allocation account and not drawn into an A/P credit memo is cleared.